Eligibility to write the RPNCE
To qualify to write the registration examination, applicants must have successfully completed an:
- approved psychiatric nursing education program in Manitoba*;
- approved psychiatric nursing education program in Alberta, British Columbia or Saskatchewan;
- approved refresher/re-entry program; or
- education program in psychiatric nursing outside of Canada that meets the CRPNM’s criteria for classroom and clinical hours **
All exam applicants must also meet all of the requirements for initial registration as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse identified in Section 5(1), of the Registered Psychiatric Nurses Regulation, except for having passed the examination.
* Students who are in the final term of the Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing (BScPN) program at the Brandon University are eligible to apply for the exam when they have started, or are about to start, the final practicum of the program.
**Applicants who have successfully completed a program of psychiatric nursing education outside of Canada must provide evidence that they are able to attend the exam in Canada.